Join Cedarwood Waldorf School’s dynamic and creative circle of teachers. Our program is expanding, and we are seeking innovative and enthusiastic teachers to join our current team of exceptional educators.
We are seeking an experienced and enthusiastic first-grade teacher for the 2015-16 school year. We will be welcoming a large class of 26 to 28 students moving up from our vibrant early childhood program. The right candidate will be dedicated to working in partnership with parents and colleagues while maintaining an interest in self-development, valuing creative teaching, and displaying strong classroom-management skills. We are looking for someone who has completed Waldorf teacher training and ideally has previous Waldorf teaching experience, a grounding in anthroposophy and a bachelor’s degree or higher. The first-grade teacher must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, the ability to plan and organize instruction, and the capacity to work with students at many ages and stages of development.
We are seeking assistants to support and be mentored by our creative, seasoned lead teachers. The ideal candidates will possess qualities of warmth, balance and joy, and a healthy will. All candidates should have a minimum of 10 to 15 hours of training in early childhood development or at least one year of experience working with children in a large setting. An understanding of Waldorf education is a plus. Cedarwood offers a warm and supportive environment for assistants to develop and participate in collaborative team teaching. Our school currently has two parent-child classes, two pre-kindergarten classes and three mixed-age kindergarten classes. All of our early childhood programs offer half-day, full-day or extended-day options. The current size of our early childhood staff is approximately 13 employees, and you will be joining a supportive, diverse group of teachers.
Music Director Grades 1 through 8
Cedarwood Waldorf School is currently seeking Music Director, to join our full time team of seven subject teachers. Cedarwood is proudly serving 306 students and 25 parent/child couples.
Our Music Program Mission:
Cedarwood Waldorf School recognizes every child is born with an innate musicality. Our music program nurtures a child’s right to develop and nurture their musicality. Cedarwood music program seeks to help the child go forth in life and meet challenges with creativity and enthusiasm and confidence; through the inspiration and experiences of listening and pure tones, the exposure and exploration of cultural diversity of rhythms, melodies and harmonies, and with the steady beat of music ringing in his/her soul.
General Job Description:
• The right candidate will enjoy working with children, be a successful musician, and hold a Waldorf Teaching Certification or equivalent in years of experience as teacher in a Waldorf School.
• addition to musical instrument proficiency, a strong background in music theory and musicianship and basic piano skills, the successful candidate will also have the ability to work well with, and relate to, children of all ages.
• The candidate’s teaching repertoire should include classical and traditional folk or world music styles as well as notation for 4th grade and older.
• Ideal candidates will be familiar with or open to learning child development as seen through the Anthroposophical lens and the Waldorf education pedagogy.
• You must be able to convey your enthusiasm and excitement for music to your students to help instill them with a desire to learn.
• You must be organized and able to keep good records, hold students accountable and set up good systems for regular instrument practice.
• You must be comfortable working with parents and willing to publically represent the music program to the larger Cedarwood community.
• Additionally you should continue your own musical development and participate in musical ensembles during your free time to help keep your musical skills fresh and sharp.
We are currently accepting resumes through April 1st, 2015.
About Cedarwood Waldorf School
Cedarwood is situated in a picturesque, historic building in the urban Lair Hill neighborhood of Portland, Ore. We serve more than 300 students from early childhood through the eighth grade. Our students benefit from rich, diverse programming that includes Spanish, Japanese, eurythmy, music, practical arts, movement and a middle-school math program. We have a strong, talented faculty that works hard to support one another and consciously represent Waldorf education to our school community and beyond.
Portland is home to a rich anthroposophical community that includes several Waldorf schools, anthroposophical doctors and a branch of the Anthroposophical Society. The city of Portland offers wonderful cultural opportunities, while nearby Mount Hood and the Columbia River Gorge capture the splendor of the natural world.
We offer competitive salaries, medical and dental benefits, a matching 401k program, tuition remission and professional development opportunities.
Send cover letter, résumé and the names of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until Jan. 30, 2015.