Girls in grades 6 through 8 are invited—and encouraged—to attend the GirlStrength Workshop on Wednesday, March 21, at 3:30 pm in the seventh-grade classroom.
GirlStrength is a free violence prevention program offered through the Family Services Division of the Portland Police Bureau. The programs, workshops and classes are inclusive and offered to any youth who identifies as a girl, or whose gender expression is female, fluid or non conforming.
The workshop will help girls identify situations that might put them at risk, and then explore options for dealing with this situation. The goal of the program is to empower girls to feel more confident!
Girls can expect to learn and practice...
- Being aware and how how our intuition can keep us safe
- Using their voices to set boundaries with people we know and don't know
- The benefits and risks of various escape options
- Risk taking to explore the role of confidence in violence prevention and safety
- Using assertive communication with friends, family members, intimate partners and strangers
- Using physical self-defense skills
If your daughter would like to attend, please download the registration form below and either print it and return it to your main lesson teacher or email it to Emma Maruska.